What Is Urovasthi Treatment
What Is Urovasthi?
Uro: chest or thoracic region
Vasthi: To hold
Thus urovasti means a treatment in which the medicated oil are poured and pooled for a fixed duration of time in compartment or cabin constructed over the chest area using wet floor of black gram, covering the area of heart and lungs.
It can also e considered as the extension over similar oil pooling treatments like shirovasti, kativasti, greeva vasti and janu vasti.
- Vatika kasa / vataja kasa: Dry, hacking, painful cough (with little or no phlegm), whooping cough, bronchitis, smokers cough allergic cough, seasonal cough which occurs or worsens in monsoon, cough exacerbated by excessive cold and dry food.
- Swasa/Swasakrichra : Condition where the patient is suffering from difficulty in breathing, dyspnoea especially having its origin in the lungs or heart.
- Shortness of breath: Urovasti is done in most chronic and stubburn conditions of shortness of breath, but the physician should take the call whether it is the best option in a given case or if as better option exist.
- Hridroga: heart disease especially caused by vata can be effectively delt with urovasti.
Hridroga associated with ayama – cardiomegaly or
Hrutsula – pain of cardiac origin.
- Arochaka: anorexia, tastelessness of chronic nature.
- Bhaktharodha : Aversion toward food.
- Chardi : Vomiting.
- Jihwasthamba: Stiffness of tongue.
Dr. GOPINATH MISHRA, MD (AYU-KERALA)
KERALA AYURVEDIC CENTRE BHOPAL